Back to the HOME PAGE. You may also want to check out the FAQ PAGE.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Really worried about a convention during my trip!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tbo
CSR Newbie
CSR Newbie

PostSubject: Really worried about a convention during my trip!   Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:43 pm

How much do conventions affect the resort?

I have been so excited about planning our June vacation at CSR that I never thought about it being a Convention resort. I heard reports of the Grainger Convention essentially taking over the resorts public areas and shutting down the main and some quiet pools for the Convention guests use.

I looked up the conventions going on during my visit and found that the National PTA Convention would be going on while I am there. This is what their website says:

Join thousands of parents, teachers, students, and leaders who come to national convention each year to enhance their skills, connections, and success!

* Education—choose from 50+ workshops
* Exhibits—visit more than 200 exhibits
* Issues—raise your voice on national business and emerging issues
* Resources—gather 100s of ideas, handouts, giveaways
* Connections—interact with 1,000s of other PTA & parent engagement leaders from around the country
* Orlando—bring the entire family and enjoy all that Walt Disney World has to offer

I am reading the word THOUSANDS and completely freaking out

That seems like a large convention! If it's going to shut down pools and take over the resort we might need to consider switching resorts

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Or even any experience with this particular convention? No affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buzz2001
Nado's #1 Fan!
Nado's #1 Fan!

PostSubject: Re: Really worried about a convention during my trip!   Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:12 pm

Not every convention is like Grainger. There are two or three companies that come in and take over the whole resort each year and they usually return year after year. The resort has only has 1,917 rooms so if it is sold out, it wouldn't be any different that any other sold out resort except that most convention groups are busy doing their meetings, exhibits and such so they do not usually take up space at the pools or on the buses. I've been to CSR 12 or so times and never encounter a convention that ruined my trip. I've seen bigger groups take over the beach at the Y&BC.

Buzz2001
Nado's #1 Fan!
Nado's #1 Fan!

PostSubject: Re: Really worried about a convention during my trip!   Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:48 am

I also would check the site once they post info on the convention to see if they are offering other hotels. They may not all be staying at CSR.

Buzz2001
Nado's #1 Fan!
Nado's #1 Fan!

PostSubject: Re: Really worried about a convention during my trip!   Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:45 pm

Here is what one person wrote after returning from CSR during the Grainger convention.

Quote :
The Grainger Convention was there when we were in WDW in January 2010, we changed our trip this year to March, so did they. A few of the Grainger employees joked that they heard we were changing our trip and because we are so much fun to be with they changed their trip as well. Yes, there were a lot of people. Yes, you could certainly tell there was a convention going on. Didd they bother us? Not at all. They are a very respectful, considerate and polite group. The bars and lounge were crowded. Pepper Market was crowded on their first night; but after that night they had their own areas set up for meals, and we never had to share a bus with anyone because they were in meetings all day and we were one of very few 'vacationer groups' staying there at the same time.

ajsmommy1129
CSR Guru
CSR Guru

PostSubject: Re: Really worried about a convention during my trip!   Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:58 pm

What you are over looking is that the conventioneers will be in meetings most of the day, thus freeing up the buses and pools for most YOU during the day. We were there, at CSR, during a very large nursing convention, and had nary a problem. Well, there was that one girl who was wearing a completely see thru dress, but once DH took his heart medication and picked his tongue up off the floor, all was well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tbo
CSR Newbie
CSR Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Really worried about a convention during my trip!   Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:32 am

Thank you all for the reassurance!

We are all so excited about CSR that I'm not going to change resorts. As of now there are still rooms available, even with the discount code, so I'm thinking if they are not sold out of rooms it won't be as bad as I think.

More than anything our touring style revolves around getting to the parks at rope drop and returning in the afternoon for a swim/nap. As long as there is a place to take a dip, relax, and cool off we will be good.

Sometimes the planning part makes me crazy, then I take a breath and remember that it's a vacation and not rocket surgery Wink tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buzz2001
Nado's #1 Fan!
Nado's #1 Fan!

PostSubject: Re: Really worried about a convention during my trip!   Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:35 pm

Here is another viewpoint.

Quote :
We were there during the Grainger convention but must of missed the pool closure. Did not seem to affect our stay but then we did not go to pepper market to eat except once. Mousekeeping was great and so was our room. Because of the Grainger convention the golf carts were always going by and picked people up and gave rides whether they were Grainger or not. Our room was beautiful and very quiet. WE would definitely go back there.

tbo
CSR Newbie
CSR Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Really worried about a convention during my trip!   Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:21 pm

Thank you Buzz!

I'm very much looking forward to our trip in June.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Really worried about a convention during my trip!   

Back to top Go down

Really worried about a convention during my trip!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1