Back to the HOME PAGE. You may also want to check out the FAQ PAGE.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Tornado crosses Florida, small planes flipped over

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Buzz2001
Nado's #1 Fan!
Nado's #1 Fan!

PostSubject: Tornado crosses Florida, small planes flipped over   Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:16 pm

1:35 p.m. EDT, March 31, 2011

MIAMI (Reuters) - High winds flipped over parked small airplanes and damaged hangars at a regional airport in central Florida on Thursday as a tornado and severe thunderstorms raked across the state from west to east, an airport official said.

Fire rescue officials in Polk County reported trees and power lines downed, but there were no immediate reports of casualties.

A spokesman for the National Weather Service told Reuters a tornado had tracked along Florida's Highway 60 crossing the Lake Wales area, dipping up and down, but the service was still carrying out its damage report.

The high winds and rain tore through the Lakeland Linder Regional Airport located halfway between Tampa and Orlando, where many aircraft had arrived for an air show known as the "Sun 'n Fun Fly-in"

"We had tremendous winds, it was an unbelievable storm," said airport director, Gene Conrad.

"We have numerous aircraft flipped over, a lot of smaller aircraft that were tied down in the grass."

A spokesman for the fire rescue service in Polk County, where Lakeland Linder airport is located, said the storm passed through the Lake Wales area, downing trees and power lines. But he had not received reports of casualties or significant damage so far.

Buzz2001
Nado's #1 Fan!
Nado's #1 Fan!

PostSubject: Re: Tornado crosses Florida, small planes flipped over   Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:51 pm

Michelle (lovethattink), was this near your home?

lovethattink
CSR Guru
CSR Guru

PostSubject: Re: Tornado crosses Florida, small planes flipped over   Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:04 am

Thankfully that tornado just took out our fence. Everything is replaceable. I posted some pics on facebook. Someone is coming out to do the estimate next Thursday. We have a $500 deductible. I called my State Farm agent and his roof had been ripped off at the office. He said it had to be a tornado. I was at an appointment with my little guy in an interior room. His therapist went out for something and came back saying it looks like night outside.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lovethattink
CSR Guru
CSR Guru

PostSubject: Re: Tornado crosses Florida, small planes flipped over   Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:07 am

At one point, 70 people were trapped at Lakeland Linder Airport's Sun and Fun Fly in, tents collapsed. My son has friends who were "working" there as part of their aeronautic school. Someone's hip was broken, other than that, minor injuries. 40 planes were damaged in a display area. I can hear planes flying overhead this morning so sounds like the show is back on schedule.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buzz2001
Nado's #1 Fan!
Nado's #1 Fan!

PostSubject: Re: Tornado crosses Florida, small planes flipped over   Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:08 am

WOW! That's scary. As long as you guys are okay, that's all that matters. Everything material is replaceable.

lovethattink
CSR Guru
CSR Guru

PostSubject: Re: Tornado crosses Florida, small planes flipped over   Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:01 am

Part of the back fence

Part of the front fence

Neighbor's trampoline

Blue heron not knowing what to do, seeks refuge in drain

Tree down

Fence down

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buzz2001
Nado's #1 Fan!
Nado's #1 Fan!

PostSubject: Re: Tornado crosses Florida, small planes flipped over   Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:28 am

We had something like that happen in our town a few years back. Its a scary event, that's for sure. I don't know how people live in Tornado Alley and have to deal with that all the time.

Buzz2001
Nado's #1 Fan!
Nado's #1 Fan!

PostSubject: Re: Tornado crosses Florida, small planes flipped over   Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:11 pm

What happen to the photos?

lovethattink
CSR Guru
CSR Guru

PostSubject: Re: Tornado crosses Florida, small planes flipped over   Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:24 pm

I got a message the other day that I had almost reached my limit of pictures for the month.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tornado crosses Florida, small planes flipped over   

Back to top Go down

Tornado crosses Florida, small planes flipped over
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1