Back to the HOME PAGE. You may also want to check out the FAQ PAGE.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Pizza flyer scams still going strong in Orlando hotels

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Buzz2001
Nado's #1 Fan!
Nado's #1 Fan!

PostSubject: Pizza flyer scams still going strong in Orlando hotels   Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:30 am

This is why John always recommends using the Dominos, Pizza Hut, Papa John type places.

Remember the pizza-flyer scam we talked about in January?

Police were concerned that the flimsy pieces of paper advertising $9.99 pizza pies and a 1-800 number were really scams to get hungry tourists to fork over their credit card information. Florida legislators ultimately passed a law – with Walt Disney World’s backing – to crack down on flyer distribution.

The story generated a surprising 66 comments from Hotel Check-In readers.

Well, now a new report from a hungry investigative reporter from WXYZ.com, the ABC affiliate in Orlando, tells us that the pizza flyer scams are still going strong. The reporter, Scott Lewis, was at the Renaissance Hotel at Sea World to attend – ironically – a conference for Investigative Reporters and Editors.

He stayed four nights at the hotel, and on three nights, pizza flyers were slipped under his hotel room door. On his last night, he had a craving for pizza. Here’s what he wrote:

“I was thinking of calling one of the places that left a flyer, but I was suspicious. The three flyers looked almost identical. The menus and prices very similar, and one of the pizza joints didn’t list their address. So I pulled a hotel employee aside and asked her if the pizza places that put flyers under the door are good. Thank God I asked.

“Don’t do it,” the employee warned. “It’s a big scam. They’re just out to steal your credit card number.”

FULL STORY

goofycanuck
CSR Newbie
CSR Newbie

PostSubject: Re: Pizza flyer scams still going strong in Orlando hotels   Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:42 pm

Had one slipped under my door during our most recent trip at CSR, June 3 - 11. Luckily we ordered the pizza from the Peppar Market.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Pizza flyer scams still going strong in Orlando hotels
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1